Welcome to Year 1’s Class Page
Our teacher is: Mrs. Barnes
Our Teaching Assistants are Mrs. Croucher, Mrs. Begum, Miss Bruce
Our PE days are Wednesday and Friday . Children come into school in uniform and will change in school.
Parent information book – Year 1 Parent Booklet Autumn 2021
Reading: Children bring home a levelled reading book as well as a library book of their choice each week. We change their school reading books frequently throughout the week. We expect the children to be reading a minimum of three times a week to an adult at home and we monitor this through their reading records weekly. We encourage and promote a love of reading, please see the link below for the top 100 reads for a Year 1 child:
Half TerM Highlights
Thank you to all the parents who were able to come into our maths morning. The children thoroughly enjoyed becoming teachers for the hour to teach you all how we do maths in Year 1!
DT – Eat More Fruit
The children have been sampling different fruits and vegetables and even practiced their peeling, chopping and grating skills through designing and making their own fruit or vegetable salad.
It was lovely to get back into a normal sports day this year! The children all demonstrated excellent skills and sportsmanship. Well done Year 1 you all made me super proud!
This half term our art is all linked to Natural Sculptures. We started off thinking about what natural meant and we made a model using clay of a natural object, Here are some of our models
Next we went outside and sketched nature
We went on a walk with some parents to the local gravel pits and scavenged for natural materials. We used these for making Mandala art which were flat on the ground…
Do you like our designs?
Next we made bigger sculptures which had to be tall and 3D
Finally we created a class collage to show case all of our work together…
Dance – Topic
The children had a great treat last week and had the opportunity to experience a real life Irish dance lesson with Miss Morris who currently places 45th best in the Irish Dance championships in the world! She wore her beautiful dress and demonstrated some dances as well as teaching the children some basic steps. The children learnt their 7’s which is part of a reel (dance)
SCIENCE – Super summer
Science this term is all about the summer, weather and growing things. This week we have explored our outside area and looked at the different parts of the plants. Then we have had the chance to plant our own beans – which we are watching grow in observation bags.
We have been exploring shadows. e had to answer the question ‘Can a shadow move?’ some of us thought yes because a shadow can follow you and some though no because if things can not move then the shadow can not move. Here we are playing with some shadow puppets we have made.
We drew around the sails shadow and checked it at different points of the day to see if it had moved. Here is what we saw…
Key points to know as a parent new to year 1:
- Children need a water bottle with water (no juice please) every day.
- Children are provided with snacks but may bring their own piece of fruit or a fruit-based bar, breadsticks, or rice cakes if they would like to bring their own.
- All children need a book back – no rucksacks please as they do not fit in our book bag boxes.
- Reading books have gone home today and must be in school every day. All children need to read at least 3 times a week, but the more you can do the better.
- PE days are Wednesday and Friday but PE kits must be in school every day in case our PE day changes at short notice. They will be returned home every Friday to be washed.
- In Year 1 the children are expected to change for PE independently, can you practice this skill at home with them, including turning their clothes out the right way, doing their socks, and taking their tops off.